Tuesday, February 19, 2013

IB Oral Assessment - Psycho (1960)

For my first run at the IB Oral Commentary, the five-minute extract I chose to focus on within Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho (1960), was the renowned shower scene along with a couple minutes prior to and after. After doing some reevaluating and self-assessing, I think my oral commentary would deserve a grade within the 16-20 point range, based on the IB rubric. As I listened to my presentation, I realized that I kept stumbling and saying "uhhh" up to a point where I lose a bit of coherence. Also, at times I would ramble on about a certain topic and eventually lose my train of thought, therefore causing me to become repetitive. Nevertheless, towards the end I did begin to gain some re composure and keep my ideas detailed yet concise. In terms of content, I feel that my background information and analyses was quite insightful and thorough, when it came to discussing the use of symbolism, artisitc styles and influences. I also think there was a fair amount of film language and terminology within my oral commentary. I talked about the director himself and how his prior films and television series applied to his work in general. I also talked about the stylistic choices Hitchcock incorporated within this film, the production design, cinematography, editing and genre. I also discussed how Psycho was a film in which was so revolutionary within the film industry that it left a legacy behind due to the way it broke down barriers and created a whole new foundation for the horror genre. As I wrapped up my oral presentation I spent some time on explain why I chose to focus on the given extract. Although the level of my overall interpretation did not turn out exactly how I expected, I believe by analysis would suffice in terms of detail and comprehension of what went into the creation of this film. This IB Oral Commentary was a great way to prepare myself for next year's presentation, that of which will go to IB.

1 comment:

  1. Good work! You provide a solid background on the creation of the film and it's influences. Good placing of the extract as it relates to the larger narrative. The observation of bird pictures on the wall, lingerie and silhouette are interesting observations. The shower scene would actually be considered more formalistic because of all the varied POV perspectives, camera angles and quick cutting. Remember to include the names of other contributors like screen writer, actors, sound designer, etc. Also remember to include and references to awards and critic's reactions. Excellent use of film language in your analysis. Good explanation of how the film meets the genre. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete