Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Top 5 Films of All Time

5 out of many in no particular order

As I put some thought into the films I would select to be in my top five, the first one that automatically came to mind was John Hughes's The Breakfast Club (1985). The Breakfast Club, in my opinion this film does an excellent job in expressing issues that universally exist, making it easy to relate to. From beginning to end, the characters and plot develop eventually leading up to a moral message that no matter who you are or where you come from, something as simple as reaching out can help you see past people and how others stereotypically view them. Although this may seem a bit cliche, it is true and by choosing this cast supports it due to how they are characterized. What I enjoyed most about this film are the characters and how the storyline overall develops. The diversity of this group gives viewers an opportunity to see things from each of their perspectives and demonstrates how their actions are what motivate the plot.






Normally I don't fully consider a movie to fall under the genre of action if there are a couple of fighting scenes and the majority is dialogue, unless those scenes are unforgettable. For me to enjoy and action film, there should be back to back action incorporating the usual elements; fighting, punching, blood, explosions, you know, manly stuff. The film Olympus Has Fallen was a great action film that, once reaches the central conflict, involves back to back action scenes that kept me on the edge of my seat. Not only does this film have lots of punching, fighting, shooting and explosions but also incorporates a suspense and unexpected plot twists. The protagonist is a highly intelligent man who is constantly thinking on the spot and strategizing different ways to save the president. Additionally this film, focuses on the political aspects of today's world and economy, which involve the ongoing feuding with different countries, giving the movie a more socio-cultural perspective.     




As a big Marvel series fan, I without a doubt had to choose a film that involves my all time favorite superhero which is The Amazing Spider-Man also known as Peter Parker. Although I can go on and on about Spider-Man I'll break down the essential parts on why I specifically enjoyed this film more than the trilogy that came out prior to this film. Aside from all the action and web slinging, I admired how this film was created and based on the actual comic series, rather than doing a slight spinoff of it. Don't get me wrong I did in fact enjoy the trilogy but just happen to enjoy the more recent one. This is so because of the different aspects such as the original storyline and especially the characters. Peter Parker is someone many people can relate to as a normal teenager and a school student. He undergoes many emotional and life dilemmas which, reminds audience members that Peter Parker is in fact a real human being with real life problems. This is something I highly admire because he isn't characterized as this invincible, manly superhero figure who has very little emotions.




What I enjoy about Alexander Payne's The Descendants (2011) is that the genre, which is comedy drama, is noticeable and is highly manifested within the film. Although the plot is mainly focused on a family tragedy, there are various instances and pieces of dialogues that reminds us it is a comedy and make us laugh. Also, the protagonist, Matt King, narrates throughout the film to give the viewers some context on different scenes of the plot to place the setting. The movie's storyline is mainly focused on Matt King's internal and external conflict making him the central focus. By doing this the the story is mainly coming from his perspective and take on the whole situation that revolves around the plot.









Personally, if there is a trending piece of news that is mainly focused on one specific individual, I really enjoy learning about that person, their success and the story of how they became to be who they are today. Let's look at David Fincher's The Social Network (2010). The aspect of learning about a person's story and what it took for them to get where they are today highly intrigues me. As we may all know, Mark Zuckerberg, the creator of Facebook, did whatever it took to become what he is today, the youngest billionaire. However, he didn't do all this by just creating a simple website that is designed to communicate with others on. Throughout the story, I admired how the film takes place in different locations and times. This way audience members are able to see his transformation throughout the years and what he went through whether good or bad. Casting an individual to play one specific person is probably the most significant detail in creating a film like this. However the casting crew did a phenomenal job in selecting Jesse Eisenberg to play the role of Mark Zuckerberg.   

4 comments:

  1. I'm fairly sure I've only watched one film on this list, but I like that you stick to your choices. Your justification for liking these films seems particularly story-based, which is different from what I've seen in other blogs. Out of all of these, I definitely agree that Breakfast Club deserves to be in a top 5.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sup Rye Bread. I've actually only seen two movies on this list, and that being said I can strongly agree with one. The Breakfast Club is an awesome movie. As the movie progresses, you definitely start to feel more sympathetic for each of the characters as you realize that they all have their own problems. The situations that they all get into are funny too, and overall it's a film that I wouldn't mind watching every now and then. The Amazing Spider Man was an interesting choice in my eyes, I'm not sure whether I liked it more than the trilogy but it was a good film nonetheless. Not necessarily in my top 5 though. In general, I thought it was awesome how you talked about what you personally liked in each film. Good job bro. Luv u <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job Ryan! I especially liked your views on the Spider-Man series and how Peter Parker is characterized with having many dilemmas and issues in his life and how he must take on the role of this heroic savior as well. Also, its important that the film was not a spin-off like you said and I think that this would ruin the integrity of the film itself if it would have gotten new adjustments made to it. The comic book series had a large influence on this film and I'm glad the producers kept it the way it was supposed to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good choice of films Ryan. Zoe also said that Breakfast club was one of her top 5 films. It definitely is a classic that everyone needs to see once in their life. The Social Network is in my top 10 films and i can watch it over and over. Even though its so long, the storyline really grips me and its such a good movie. I have never seen one of the films on your list which is the Descendents. It is starring George Clooney so it definitely can not be too bad. I plan on checking that out sometime in the near future. I can tell that you really judge a film based on it's characters and characterization. I reccomend checking out the film 42 about Jackie Robinson. Sweet post ry ry.

    ReplyDelete